03 janvier 2008

White Flower in the Cascade Mountains

Unusual White Flower growing wild in the Cascade Mountains. I don't know the name of it. As far as the My Story part, I had parked my car on the shoulder of the highway and decided that I would walk up the hillside to see more about these flowers. I had been watching them each year for about 15 or 20 years, thinking that some day I would photograph them. I never did. One day I just decided I had waited long enough. I was a fair distance from the highway when a State Trooper drove up to my truck. I thought I was going to get a ticket for parking on the shoulder. I walked back to my truck, and he said, "Are you OK?" I explained that yes I was, and about waiting so long to photograph the flowers. I had my camera with me, and I think I am a fairly believable person. Anyway, he wasn't mean at all. In fact he told me where I could go and turn off the highway just about a half mile from there, and that there were zillions of the same type of flower. I followed his advice and he was correct. He was very nice. I got this picture that day, and I used my ArcSoft2 photo program, and added a bit of oil paint1 technique. I took some close up like this one, and some from a distance showing the surrounding area. That I get into these type of situations addresses "My Life As" a photographer and nature lover. Sightseeing is one of the most fun things I do.

Can someone tell me the name of this flower, or seed pod, or whatever it is? I don't want to put it on the FLOWERS group if it is not a flower, or if it is unidentified. I put it on ID Please group as well.(278unusualwhitewildfloweraaoil1)
This is the ID I got: This is the inflorescence of a plant in the lily family (Liliaceae), I believe it is a Turk's Cap lily, Xerophyllum tenax.
This additional comment and information came in later, but I am just now getting around to adding it here. It is also in the comment below from Dreyer Family.
I believe urtica is correct that this is Xerophyllum tenax -but I the common name is Bear Grass or Indiana Basket Grass. Turk's cap lilly is a real flower - it's very different. Beatutiful image!


Copied and pasted from Mozilla Foxfire on March 4, 2007
10 hours ago:85
21 hours ago:86
2 days ago:87
3 days ago:89

0 commentaires: